Spring is in full swing now here in South East Michigan and I couldn’t be happier! While we were living in Florida we weren’t able to feel much of the seasonal changes that you feel up North which was a huge bummer for us since both of our favorite seasons are the “in between” seasons (fall and spring). I like to think my absolute favorite season is fall, but honestly, in the midst of all these beautiful budding trees, new flowers, and fresh-cut grass, spring becomes my favorite.
I’ve compiled a small list of reasons why this season makes me feel so pleasant.
- Flowers! Am I the only one that feels like a total domestic princess when I have fresh flowers on the table or even growing in a flower bed outside? My personal favorite are perennials because they are way harder to kill and I’m pretty much a flower serial killer. In a perfect world, I would have a master green thumb but this world is far from perfect and in this non-perfect world, I suck at transplanting and overall plant care. 🙂 However, I do still love trying which leads me to number two.
- Yard work! I know some of you are like “huh??” but I really enjoy yard work! The first day we were able to spend outside on our yard this year, I almost picked up a crawdad thinking he was a stick and almost raked up a snake! Obviously that does nothing in proving my point, but despite all the creepy crawlies, I still love it. The transformation of disappearing weeds, leaves, and brush is so rewarding. Our house was vacant for several years before we bought it, so there is a TON to do, but little at a time, it is getting better. I just recently picked up a few plants and spray painted some old pots to dress up our front entrance and now it actually looks like someone lives here.
- Grilling! This wouldn’t be a very convincing list without the mention of food right? Let’s face it, food is awesome, and grilled food is extra awesome. We actually haven’t gotten to do a whole lot of it yet since Tyler hasn’t had the time to build a fire pit, but believe me…there will be PLENTY of it once we have a good place to do it. The best part about it is that it leaves very little for me to do in the kitchen for dinner. 😉 I can handle throwing a salad together real quick.
- Open windows! It’s no secret that heating your house in the winter dries out the air and leaves the house feeling somewhat stuffy. When spring rolls around, I am more than ready to open the windows and air the house out! No candle can beat the smell of a fresh outdoor breeze cleaning out the air in your home. Plus if it’s warm enough to open your windows, chances are you are able to turn your heat off which brings me to my next point.
- Lower heating bill! If it’s warm enough to be opening the windows, that means it’s also warm enough to turn off or at least turn down the heat. Winter heating bills can be a real blow to the bank so, we, as many people do, jump at the chance to turn the heat off for a day or two.
- New Life! Our yard is full of trees which means our yard is also full of birds. Now that spring is here, these birds are filling their nests with cute bald little babies.
- Spring Cleaning! I know many people would disagree with this one but I personally love any opportunity to purge! I have an irrational fear of becoming a hoarder so when I have a good reason to go through and get rid of unnecessary junk, I do it. I also love clear windows and knowing the deep dark corners of my home have been cleaned. Even if it’s only for a little while. 😉
This completes my short list of reasons I love spring. Of course, there are loads more reasons, these are just the first ones that come to mind. What are some things you love about spring?